Online class registration is available only to registered users. Site registration is free and easy and provides basic information needed for class registration.
The following courses are currently being offered by Supporting Heroes. All classes are provided at no cost and unless otherwise indicated, lunch will be provided.
For additional information, to make a special registration request, or to discuss hosting a class in your area, please email Classes@SupportingHeroes.org.
Death of a Hero: Preparing Your Agency for the Unthinkable
This class is for police, fire, and EMS chiefs and chief officers. It covers issues that should be considered and prepared for before tragedy strikes. It is not a 'funeral planning' class, but a class about matters important before a hero falls and before, during, and after a funeral.
NOTE: The class is open to all public safety personnel and chaplains. However, all seats will be held for chiefs and chief officers until 28 days prior to the date of the class.
Topics will include:
* Policy Development and Advance Planning
* Family Support Considerations: Immediate and Long-Term
* LODD Effects on Co-Workers and Their Families
* Chiefs: Emotional Readiness
* Ego, Politics, and Special Interests in Funeral Planning
* Levels of Honor: LODD, Active, Retiree, etc.
* Honor Guards: Important Considerations
* Protocol: What it is -- What it is Not
* Maintaining Perspective and Values
* Death Notification Procedures
* Support Mechanisms
* Special Honors, Tributes, and Memorials
* Media Considerations Following Line of Duty Death
* The REAL Story: "How He Died" vs. "How He Lived"
* Dealing with Special Circumstances: “Friendly Fire,” Suicide, and More
* Public Safety Officers' Benefits
Additional dates and locations are pending.
DRESS: "Business Casual"