His wife Ida and three children.
Captain Toelle was standing on the corner of St. Joseph Avenue and Franklin Street when he heard a commotion coming from the restaurant of Peter Perry at 1229 West Franklin Street. He ran to the restaurant and found trash burning on the floor. He ran outside to summon No. 5"s house and when he returned he found that the fire had spread to a pan of grease. The Captain picked up the pan of burning grease and tried to remove it from the building. He stumbled, causing the grease to splash onto his clothing, which ignited. He extinguished the flames, which had engulfed his entire body, by jumping into a pile of sawdust. He died a short time later.
There are currently no photos for Captain John Toelle.
There are currently no tributes for Captain John Toelle.